I was a data scientist, applied researcher, and H2020 project lead (5G-Solutions) at IBM Ireland Lab, where the main focus of my work was to leverage the state-of-the-art machine learning and applied optimisation techniques for practical and challenging problems arising in the industry. Before IBM, I joined University College Dublin as a postdoctoral researcher then a senior postdoctoral researcher with the Control Engineering and Decision Science Research Group within the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, where I spent almost three years working on both EU and SFI funded projects, including Green Transportation and Networks (SFI) and Enable-S3 (H2020), with strong collaborations with both academia and industry.
I received my B.Eng. degree with first class honours (ranked 1st) from the Department of Electronic Engineering at the National University of Ireland Maynooth in 2011, and then the PhD degree from the Hamilton Institute from same university in 2015 (26 years old) with my thesis entitled “Topics in Electromobility and Related Applications”, under the supervision of Prof. Robert Shorten (Professor of Imperial College London at present) and Prof. Sean McLoone (Professor of Queen’s University Belfast at present).
I am an IEEE member and an active reviewer in my research fields. I served as an organizing committee co-chair for the 5th IEEE WF-IoT conference in 2019 and AI & ML topical track co-chair for the same conference in 2020. I am also an Editorial Board member for the Frontiers in Sustainable Cities (Journal). I have published several top-tier journals and conference papers to date, including “IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid”, “IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System”, “IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering”, and “Automatica”.
- 5G & IoT Applications
- Edge, Fog and Cloud Computing
- Linear and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science
- Centralized, Decentralized, Distributed Control, Algorithms, Optimization
- E-Mobility, Smart Grids, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Smart Cities
- Aware (EU H2020), Task Lead, Proposal Funded, Grant €300k+
- CoSafe-TE (EU H2020), WP Lead, Proposal Submitted (second stage)
- 5G-Solutions (EU H2020), WP Lead, Proposal Funded, Grant €600k+
- ICONET (EU H2020), Task Tech Lead
- VI-DAS (EU H2020), WP Tech Lead
- Chariot (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- COPKIT (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Enable-S3 (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Green Transportation and Communication Networks (SFI), Task Tech Contributor
I am always actively looking for highly motivated Ph.D students. Postdocs, and visiting scholars to work or collaborate with me. If you are interested in this perspective, please send me an email along with your CV, academic transcripts, English certificate, as well as other supporting documents which may demonstrate your research capability and potential. Please note that if your application is positive, you should typically expect to receive a response from me within a week (holiday period excluded).
- Jun, 2021: I have presented an invited lecture to students in the Ide3a project.
- Jun, 2021: One paper has been accepted by IEEE ITSC 2021.
- Jun, 2021: One fully-funded PhD position is available in our group, please contact me if you are interested.
- Jun, 2021: One paper has been accepted by the 16th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL).
- May, 2021: Three journal papers have been submitted from our group to IEEE TITS, Nature SR and Energy (Elsevier).
- Apr, 2021: One paper has been accepted by the 7th IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (IEEE WF-IoT).
- Mar, 2021: Congratulations to my project students C. Muli and J.M. Adove for winning Ide3a scholarships for their FYPs to be continually carried out at TU Berlin!
- Feb, 2021: One paper has been accepted by the 6th ACM/IEEE Conference on Internet of Things and Implementation (IoTDI 2021).
- Feb, 2021: One paper has been accepted by the IEEE 93rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Spring) for presentation.
- Jan, 2021: One paper has been accepted by the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Dec, 2020: One paper has been accepted by the IEEE System Journal.
- Dec, 2020: One paper has been accepted by the AAAI workshop.
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my master student R.Dhakshinamurthy for getting one regular paper accepted by the IEEE GCAIoT 2020!
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my bachelor student Z. Murphy for winning the IBM Opensource Expo prize for her final year project!
- Sept, 2020: I am currently looking for students to jointly apply for IRC PhD/Postdoc funding with me.
- Sept, 2020: One funded research master position is available, contact me if you are interested.
- Sept, 2020: Our COVID-19 project has received funding from Google Cloud Platform to support its cloud infrastructure dev.
- Aug, 2020: I am acting as the topic guest editor for the Frontiers Journal in Sustainable Cities - please see the CFP.
- Jun, 2020: Joined SFI ML-Lab as a research leader.
- May, 2020: Joined EU COST Action CA19126 as a funded MC member.