Dr. Mingming Liu is currently an Assistant Professor in Electronic and Computer Engineering with the School of Electronic Engineering at Dublin City University (DCU).
Mingming was a data scientist, applied researcher, and H2020 project lead (5G-Solutions) at IBM Ireland Lab, where the main focus of his work was to leverage the state-of-the-art machine learning and applied optimisation techniques for practical and challenging problems arising in the industry. Before IBM, he worked at University College Dublin as a (senior) postdoctoral research fellow with the Control Engineering and Decision Science Research Group within the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He spent almost three years working on both EU and SFI funded projects at UCD, including Green Transportation and Networks (SFI) and Enable-S3 (H2020), with strong collaborations with both academia and industrial partners.
He received his B.Eng. degree with first class honours (ranked 1st) from the Department of Electronic Engineering at the National University of Ireland Maynooth in 2011, and then his PhD from the Hamilton Institute at the same university in 2015 (26 years old). His PhD thesis entitled “Topics in Electromobility and Related Applications” was supervised by Prof Robert Shorten (Full Professor at Imperial College London) and Prof Sean McLoone (Full Professor at Queen’s University Belfast).
He is an IEEE Senior Member and an active reviewer in his research fields. He has published over 50 papers to date including top-tier journals such as “IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid”, “IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System”, “IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering”, “IEEE System Journal”, “IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification” and “Automatica”. At present, he acts as an academic editor for PLOS ONE and an associate editor for the Journal of Information Systems and Operational Research (INFOR). Since 2018, he has secured more than 1.2 million euros in research funding from various sources as the independent PI. Also, he has actively participated in many academic activities, including technical committees, organisation committees and management committees at both national and international levels. He is currently the management committee member for Ireland in the EU COST Action CA19126, CA20138 and CA21131.
- 5G & IoT Applications
- Edge, Fog and Cloud Computing
- Linear and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science, SRE/MLOps
- Centralized, Decentralized, Distributed Control, Algorithms, Optimization
- E-Mobility, Smart Grids, Smart Transportation, Smart Healthcare, Smart Cities
- SFI-Funded Project, PI, Funded with Grant €320k+, co-funded by Google Cloud Research (PI, €5k)
- Huawei SRE Project, PI, Funded with Grant €270k+
- 5G-Solutions (EU H2020), PI, WP Lead, Grant €660k+
- Insight DCU TU/IoT, Co-PI with Prof. A. Smeaton et al., Grant €50k, co-funded by Google Cloud Research (PI, €5k)
- ICONET (EU H2020), Task Tech Lead
- VI-DAS (EU H2020), WP Tech Lead
- Chariot (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- COPKIT (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Enable-S3 (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Green Transportation and Communication Networks (SFI), Task Tech Contributor
I am always actively looking for highly motivated Ph.D students, Postdocs, and visiting scholars to work or collaborate with me. If you are interested in this perspective, please send me an email along with your CV, academic transcripts, English certificate, as well as other supporting documents which may demonstrate your research capability and potential. Please note that if your application is positive, you should typically expect to receive a response from me within a week (holiday period excluded).
- Mar, 2023: We are orgainising a Special Session for the IEEE ITSC 2023, please see our CFP “New Technological Trends in Shared Mobility Systems” for more details. Submission DDL: 15th of May 2023.
- Mar, 2023: Our SFI project has received external funding support from Google Cloud Research for €5k.
- Feb, 2023: Our group attended the Google Air Quality Hackathon at Google Dublin.
- Feb, 2023: Please contact me if you are interested in a two-year postdoctoral researcher position in Ireland doing e-mobility related research with me.
- Jan, 2023: Please contact me if you are interested in a funded-PhD position in Ireland doing machine learning related research with me.
- Jan, 2023: One book chapter has been published by Springer.
- Dec, 2022: One journal paper has been accepted by Sensors.
- Nov, 2022: Our Huawei project has received the DCU Invent Commercialization Award.
- Nov, 2022: We are currently looking for a Research Assistant and a Postdoc Researcher for the Shared E-mobility project. Please reach out to me if you are interested.
- Oct, 2022: I visited TU Berlin with the invitation of Prof. S. Park.
- Oct, 2022: Our group has attended the SFI Insight Showcase Smart Surroundings event with presentations, posters and demos for the research work on Data Analytics for Microservice-based Applications and E-mobility. See here for details.
- Oct, 2022: We are currenty looking for a Postdoc researcher who has background in any aspects of NLP, AI, Neuroscience, Smart Health for a 2-year Irish-based MSCA NeuroInsight programme supervised by me and Prof. Gianpiero Cavalleri at RCSI. Please contact me if you are interested. More details can be found here.
- Oct, 2022: Congratulations to my FYP student C. Kenneally for being named on the Dean’s Honours List this year. Well done Colm.
- Sep, 2022: One conference paper has been accepted by IEEE International Conference on Cloud Networking (IEEE CloudNet 2022).
- Aug, 2022: One journal paper has been accepted by Sensors.
- Jul, 2022: Joined EU COST Action CA21131 as a funded MC member.
- Jun, 2022: One journal paper has been accepted by Frontiers in Education.
- Jun, 2022: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE ITSC 2022.
- May, 2022: One conference paper has been accepted by the Global IoT Summit 2022.
- May, 2022: I have joined the Journal of Information Systems and Operational Research (INFOR) as an Associate Editor.
- May, 2022: Three papers have been accepted by the EUROCALL 2022 conference.
- May, 2022: I have joined PLOS One journal as an academic editor.
- Apr, 2022: I have been elevated to the IEEE Senior Member.
- Apr, 2022: CFP - Special Issue on: “Enabling Technologies for Zero-Emission Road Vehicles”, International Journal of Powertrains.
- Apr, 2022: One conference paper has been accepted by the 8th International Conference on Higher Education Advanced (HEAd’22).
- Mar, 2022: We have a 3-month scholarship to support a DCU student travelling to TU Berlin this summer, details of the project can be found here. Reach out to me if you are interested. DDL: 17th of April.
- Mar, 2022: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE VTC 2022-Spring.
- Feb, 2022: Joined the Expert Panel for Leadership for DCU Futures.
- Jan, 2022: Joined SFI Insight Centre for Data Analytics as a Funded Investigator.
- Oct, 2021: We are looking for one two-year MSCA postdoc researcher for the NeuroInsight project. Let me know if you are interested.
- Oct, 2021: Joined NeuroInsight centre as a project supervisor (research lead).
- Oct, 2021: Congratulations to my project student J.M. Adove for winning the IBM OpenSource Prize for her final year project.
- Oct, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification.
- Oct, 2021: Joined EU COST Action CA20138 as a funded MC member.
- Oct, 2021: I am currently looking for students to jointly apply for IRC PhD funding and IRC Postdoc funding with me.
- Sep, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by Sustainability.
- Sep, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by the Nature Scientic Report.
- Aug, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE VTC 2021-Fall.
- Jun, 2021: We are looking for one postdoc researcher and one research assistant for the Huawei project, please contact me if interested.
- Jun, 2021: National media report on the Help-Me-Watch system developed together with Prof Alan Smeaton at DCU.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by International Conference on Sustainability in Energy and Buildings (SEB-21).
- Jun, 2021: One invited lecture has been presented to students in the Ide3a project.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by IEEE ITSC 2021.
- Jun, 2021: One fully-funded PhD position is available in our group, please contact me if you are interested.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 16th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL).
- May, 2021: Three journal papers have been submitted from our group to IEEE TITS, Nature SR and Energy (Elsevier).
- Apr, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 7th IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (IEEE WF-IoT).
- Mar, 2021: Congratulations to my project students C. Muli and J.M. Adove for winning Ide3a scholarships for their FYPs to be continually carried out at TU Berlin!
- Feb, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 6th ACM/IEEE Conference on Internet of Things and Implementation (IoTDI 2021).
- Feb, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE 93rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Spring) for presentation.
- Jan, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Dec, 2020: One journal paper has been accepted by the IEEE System Journal.
- Dec, 2020: One conference paper has been accepted by the AAAI workshop.
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my master student R.Dhakshinamurthy for getting one regular paper accepted by the IEEE GCAIoT 2020!
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my bachelor student Z. Murphy for winning the IBM Opensource Expo prize for her final year project!
- Sep, 2020: One funded research master position is available, contact me if you are interested.
- Sep, 2020: Our COVID-19 project has received funding from Google Cloud Platform to support its cloud infrastructure dev.
- Jun, 2020: Joined SFI ML-Lab as a research leader.
- May, 2020: Joined EU COST Action CA19126 as a funded MC member.