Mingming was a data scientist, applied researcher, and H2020 project lead (5G-Solutions) at IBM Ireland Lab, where the main focus of his work was to leverage the state-of-the-art machine learning and applied optimisation techniques for practical and challenging problems arising in the industry. Before IBM, he worked at University College Dublin as a (senior) postdoctoral research fellow with the Control Engineering and Decision Science Research Group within the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He spent almost three years working on both EU and SFI funded projects at UCD, including Green Transportation and Networks (SFI) and Enable-S3 (H2020), with strong collaborations with both academia and industrial partners.
He received his B.Eng. degree with first class honours (ranked 1st) from the Department of Electronic Engineering at the National University of Ireland Maynooth in 2011, and then his PhD from the Hamilton Institute at the same university in 2015 (26 years old). His PhD thesis entitled “Topics in Electromobility and Related Applications” was supervised by Prof. Robert Shorten (Full Professor at Imperial College London) and Prof. Sean McLoone (Full Professor at Queen’s University Belfast).
He is an IEEE member and an active reviewer in his research fields. He was an organizing committee co-chair for the 5th IEEE WF-IoT conference in 2019 and AI & ML topical track co-chair for the same conference in 2020. He is also an Editorial Board member for the Frontiers in Sustainable Cities (Journal). He has published over 40 papers to date including top-tier journals such as “IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid”, “IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System”, “IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering”, and “Automatica”.
- 5G & IoT Applications
- Edge, Fog and Cloud Computing
- Linear and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Data Science
- Centralized, Decentralized, Distributed Control, Algorithms, Optimization
- E-Mobility, Smart Grids, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Smart Cities
- Huawei SRE Project, PI, Funded with Grant €270k+
- 5G-Solutions (EU H2020), PI, WP Lead, Grant €660k+
- ICONET (EU H2020), Task Tech Lead
- VI-DAS (EU H2020), WP Tech Lead
- Chariot (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- COPKIT (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Enable-S3 (EU H2020), Task Tech Contributor
- Green Transportation and Communication Networks (SFI), Task Tech Contributor
I am always actively looking for highly motivated Ph.D students, Postdocs, and visiting scholars to work or collaborate with me. If you are interested in this perspective, please send me an email along with your CV, academic transcripts, English certificate, as well as other supporting documents which may demonstrate your research capability and potential. Please note that if your application is positive, you should typically expect to receive a response from me within a week (holiday period excluded).
- Oct, 2021: Joined EU COST Action CA20138 as a funded MC member.
- Oct, 2021: I am currently looking for students to jointly apply for IRC PhD funding and IRC Postdoc funding with me.
- Sept, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by Sustainability.
- Sept, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by the Nature Scientic Report.
- Aug, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE VTC 2021-Fall.
- Jun, 2021: We are looking for one postdoc researcher and one research assistant for the Huawei project, please contact me if interested.
- Jun, 2021: National media report on the Help-Me-Watch system developed together with Prof Alan Smeaton at DCU.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by International Conference on Sustainabilty in Energy and Buildings (SEB-21).
- Jun, 2021: One invited lecture has been presented to students in the Ide3a project.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by IEEE ITSC 2021.
- Jun, 2021: One fully-funded PhD position is available in our group, please contact me if you are interested.
- Jun, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 16th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL).
- May, 2021: Three journal papers have been submitted from our group to IEEE TITS, Nature SR and Energy (Elsevier).
- Apr, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 7th IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (IEEE WF-IoT).
- Mar, 2021: Congratulations to my project students C. Muli and J.M. Adove for winning Ide3a scholarships for their FYPs to be continually carried out at TU Berlin!
- Feb, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the 6th ACM/IEEE Conference on Internet of Things and Implementation (IoTDI 2021).
- Feb, 2021: One conference paper has been accepted by the IEEE 93rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2021-Spring) for presentation.
- Jan, 2021: One journal paper has been accepted by the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Dec, 2020: One journal paper has been accepted by the IEEE System Journal.
- Dec, 2020: One conference paper has been accepted by the AAAI workshop.
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my master student R.Dhakshinamurthy for getting one regular paper accepted by the IEEE GCAIoT 2020!
- Oct, 2020: Congratulations to my bachelor student Z. Murphy for winning the IBM Opensource Expo prize for her final year project!
- Sept, 2020: One funded research master position is available, contact me if you are interested.
- Sept, 2020: Our COVID-19 project has received funding from Google Cloud Platform to support its cloud infrastructure dev.
- Jun, 2020: Joined SFI ML-Lab as a research leader.
- May, 2020: Joined EU COST Action CA19126 as a funded MC member.